Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My training

Firstly, something about the institution. I have spent four weeks in the 2nd Vilnius Children’s Foster Care Home. There are four families; each consists of 17-19 children, from the ages of 1 year to 18. All training time I spent in the third family. In the training I got acquainted with the institution’s mission, vision, method, purposes, also with the client group and itʼs social needs. This training was very useful to me because I have not worked with children in the past. Personally,I did not known how to behave with the youth maybe they would dislike me or would not want to communicate. However, everything was O.K. I spent days with children, who go to school in the afternoon or because of illness stayed at home.
Secondly, one of the main aims of my training were to analyze social worker’s work. Although, there is no social worker in this children home, but the institutions substitute of the principal do some social workerʼs tasks. I and my course mate were allowed to watch civil proceeding for mother’s care restriction. In this proceeding also participated one nurse from children home and the children’s right protection service representative. I found out what information social worker should get for that kind of trial.
Thirdly, I studied documents. I choosed one emotial cripple child, who has learning and behaviour difficulties. I read his personal file, to known more about him, his family and causes of behaviour. After this I spent more time with that child to look which problems are solved and what more might be done.
All things considered, I must say that during training I achieved the purposes and committed tasks. It was useful to know more about communication with children. However, next time I would not like to have training in this children home. It would be better to choose institution with social worker, to know more about his job.

No comments: